- Earth Boring Products
Earth Boring Products
Horizontal Boring the Grundomat® Way
Grundomat pneumatic piercing tools provide accurate horizontal bores beneath roads, railways, and landscaping across North America and around the world and have been doing it for 45 years.
Water, gas, sewer, electrical, and railroad industries have all benefited from this work horse of trenchless technology. Minimal operating space is required and the tool serves as a complement, and in many situations an economical alternative to, larger, more expensive directional drilling equipment.
- Hardened alloy steel chisel for long work life.
- Reciprocating stepped head keeps tool on target.
- Teflon® seals and tape eliminate metal-to-metal contact and provide for easy user maintenance.
- All modular construction.
- Easily launched by hand or from cradle.
- Minimal tool setup for fast, profitable work.
- Durable construction means little maintenance.
- Reverse Made Easy: 5- through 7-inch diameter Grundomats are equipped with a new patented reverse mechanism. You can easily reverse the Grundomat during the bore, by adjusting a lever on the lubricator control system. There is no need to turn the air hose or stop the tool.
- The Grundomat design provides greater target accuracy than traditional tools
- In just one simple step, the tool performs a bore and pulls in pipe behind it
- Minimal disruption to traffic, buildings, and other utilities
- Avoids sizable surface damage and costly restoration required for old trenching methods
- Accelerated project completion timeline
- Easy to set up and operate
- Minimal crew size
Piercing Tool Capabilities
Grundomat can perform accurate horizontal bores from 50 to 150 feet in length. The Grundomat can be used in all displaceable soils:
The Grundomat is easily configured to pull in a wide variety of new pipe materials.
Horizontal Boring Overview
Compressed air repeatedly propels the piston against the rear of the chisel head assembly. This first compresses the pre-tensioned steel spring which forces the chisel head assembly forward independently of the main casing to provide a pilot bore. Then, the same continuous force thrusts the main casing ahead. The Grundomat’s patented stepped-cone head consistently provides accurate results.
Grundomat Hammers Straight Ahead of Conventional Tools
Fixed-head “conventional” piercing tools have a tendency to take the line of least resistance when encountering difficult soils and obstacles in their bore path. When they hit an obstruction, they’re easily knocked off course resulting in a failed bore. The reciprocating stepped-cone chisel head action of the Grundomat tool is unique because it hammers away at solid obstacles. This two-stroke action means that the piston’s impact is concentrated on the reciprocating tool head for optimum boring performance.
Grundomat Piercing Tool Size Guide
Tips and Tricks for Your Grundomat Horizontal Boring Tool
Proper care of your Grundomat will ensure it operates safely and efficiently. Use these TT Technologies approved guidelines to help your tool last longer.
Clean Your Grundomat Tool Weekly.
At the end of the week, pour a small amount of diesel fuel into the whip hose, and run the tool for 30 seconds. The diesel fuel will clean out any abrasive materials that can damage internal seals and parts.
Operate at The Proper Air Pressure.
Grundomat tools are designed to operate under 90 psi when going forward and should be reduced to 60 psi when the tool is in reverse.
Operating at the proper air pressure will help your tool stay together.
The Grundomat tool does have a reverse feature, but the tail end of the tool is not designed to withstand the force of the piston repeatedly.
Do not reverse more than 50 feet at a time.
If possible, dig the tool out when the shot is completed. This will increase the longevity of your tool.
Do Not Alter Your Tool.
Alterations made to a tool can make it un-repairable.
Do not weld anything to your tool. It will damage internal components, compromise the integrity of the steel, and most likely result in a dead tool.
Pay Attention to The Head.
When air starts coming out of the head, excessive wear begins on the head. It is important that the head remain tight and sealed; not loose. Loose heads do not perform properly and are prone to breaking underground.
Broken heads are not covered under warranty.
Know Your Warranty.
TT Technologies offers a one-year replacement warranty on the barrel (body) of the tool and the internal piston of the tool. All other parts are wear parts and typically aren’t covered under warranty.
Please note: Georgia Underground and Supply can only sell Grundomat tools in the United States. For all other countries, please contact TT Technologies at 1-800-533-2078.